Sunday, November 06, 2005

Professionally Effective

This week, the pastor of my church asked me if I would present the invitation after his sermon. He was to deliver a monolog portraying Zacheas and thought it would be weird for him to do it.

I agreed, of course, but quickly pined for the week prior when I didn't have this unexpected burden. What to say, how to act, and what to do if anyone responded. I was crazy to accept the request, but now - it's over, I did it this morning and everything went great.

What's interesting to me is how I muddled over something that regular pastors do in their sleep. Then, of course, it got me wondering - does the impact of what we do get better or get worse as we get better or more proficient at doing it?

In the professional world, it's not a clear "better." The better guys are in computers, for example, the less work they want to do and the more cutting-edge they want to be. I see the same in every profession and so it makes me wonder if professional pastors are more or less effective.

No comments: