Monday, April 16, 2001

What I need is more

I was talking to a co-worker the today about the decadence in our city. I was trying to convince her that it was a common thread in all cities, even small towns. People simply aren't content with what they have been given.

It's difficult, she explained, when you go to a friend's home and see some 20 fold your own situation; naturally, we begin to consider the necessary change of our life to bring us to that higher level of comfort. It just happens.

Then, I came up with a pretty good test. I said, picture a truly poverty stricken person, who, because of horrible circumstances had been dealt, was guaranteed a difficult life.

Now, try to picture giving that same person a tour of your home.

When you open your stuffed closet, describe your plans to get a newer car, and reveal your hidden displeasure in the smallness of your home, do you begin to get embarrassed?

I do.

Sometimes I wonder who really has the higher comfort level.

No comments: