Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Misunderstanding Faith

Often I hear “I don’t believe”, “I can’t believe”, or “I don’t have faith”, “I can’t have faith”, or – ironically – “I don’t believe in faith”. The notion is gibberish.

Consider the chair in the middle of the room. Now, sit.

I need to ask you a question.

Did you test the chair before sitting? No

How did you know it would hold not collapse? Faith

There isn’t a human alive that is not fundamentally defined by belief and faith in unseen things. It’s faith in causality, logic, science, reason, God, or the chair. If you are like me, you likely have faith in all of those and plenty more.

I suppose what people mean is that they don’t want to believe.

Belief and faith have life-changing implications, not always easy changes either.

No comments: