Thursday, April 06, 2006

Hard to Believe

Something happened today. I was in a meeting where a decision was made. Because of my project role and the outcome’s effect on a colleague, it will look as if I made or influenced the decision. But the truth is, I did not.

What bothers me most is that I will never be able to convince anyone of the truth, especially my colleague (who was not present). For all time here fore, the truth will be doubted. Even consistency in truthfulness is insufficient to overturn this bizarre twist of fate.

This reminds me of the movie Brokedown Palace. Two girls accused of smuggling drugs by Thailand customs realize that even their parents don’t believe their innocence. It’s heartbreaking in the movie and, in this sliver of time, I can relate.

How to believe what the evidence suggests otherwise without empirically witnessing the contrary yourself? I am not sure we ever can.

No comments: