Sunday, July 10, 2005

Battlestar Galactica

"There are those who believe... that life here... began out there. Far across the universe. With tribes of humans... who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians... or the Toltecs... or the Mayans... that they may have been the architects of the Great Pyramids... or the lost civilizations of Lemuria... or Atlantis... Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man... who even now fight to survive... somewhere beyond the heavens."

I have always loved that opening line of the original Battlestar Galactica; when I was a kid I often daydreamed of being a Colonial Warrior, saving mankind from the emminent threats of the Cylons.

My favorites, of course, were stoic Lorn Greene as Commander Adama and the go-getter Starbuck whose ex-prostitute love, Cassiopeia, still remains one of the best female names I have ever heard.

Last night, NBC showed the cliff hanger of last season's remake of Battlestar Galactica.

I have seen the 2004 remade mini series (a la WinMX) but not the first season as it is on the Sci Fi channel and I don't get that station. I can appreciate the changes they made, although I always hate the urge to make science fiction "darker" but it seems the way of things.

What do I really miss? Two things. I miss the opening and closing lines - and with Starbuck cast now as a girl, she has no ex-prostitute love named Cassiopeia.

Here's the original closing line:

"Fleeing from the Cylon Tyrany, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest for a shining planet called, Earth."

No comments: